Saturday 23 July 2011

An apology to MySQL@Oracle

About a week ago I appeared to have started an argument which has now spanned several blog post comments, 39 Google+ comments and two other blog posts.  So the first thing I want to do is apologise to the MySQL@Oracle staff (and Sheeri).  I was disagreeing on the use of 'The' whilst the real problem is my personal understanding the meaning of the word/name/trademark 'MySQL'.  You guys are right and I am wrong.  To correct this I'll refer to what I used to call the "MySQL Ecosystem" as the Open Database Community until someone has a cool name for it.

The arguments were so severe that last week I was even thinking about leaving the Open Database Community.  Apart from Drizzle, mydumper and a few other things I don't contribute as much useful content I used to now anyway.  I would need about another 20 hours in every day to do as much as I would like to do.  But for now I will just stay more in the background just pushing out code to anyone who wants it.

In reply to Herik's post, please don't blame Monty Taylor, this was all my fault.  Also I never intended for the argument to be hidden (or exist at all) on Google+.  Someone at Oracle pointed out that it was wrong to make any of those comments public, so they will stay hidden for now.

5 comments:

  1. :( It's all good, dude. We can have friendly disagreements. My wife and I have plenty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much respect for you, it's not easy to have a post like this. I hope this won't prevent you from speaking your mind in the future...in all the years I have been reading your blog and known you, you have had a lot of good ideas and good points, and been wrong just once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] and I apparently really angered people by being upset about something last week, and for that, as he already has, I apologize. I don't like making people angry or upset. I believe Henrik made an excellent point, [...]

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] and I apparently really angered people by being upset about something last week, and for that, as he already has, I apologize. I don’t like making people angry or [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. My intent was not to blame Monty. From my point of view Monty was the one taking your argument into a public forum. I think it is good to drag this stuff into public. Yes, I often come out looking as an idiot too, still, it's preferable to not having anything in public, because not doing it will slowly kill the community.

    Now we just need to learn how to handle this thing of talking in public. I think you guys are doing just fine.

    henrik

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.